Did you know that chocolates and candies can be deadly for your dog? While some foods may be completely harmless for humans, those same treats may cause your dog to be sick.
This is why candies and chocolates must be kept out of your dog’s reach. To help ensure your dog has as much of a good time as you and your children, try stocking up on deliciously fresh and healthy Freshpet dog food or treats this Halloween!
Before you run out to get Freshpet dog food, lets take a look at some types of foods that you should try an avoid having near your pets this holiday.
Halloween Treats That Are a Big NO for Dogs:
This delicious human Halloween treat can cause severe symptoms such as of excessing panting, vomiting, frequent urination, diarrhea, or seizures in pets.
Chocolates with alcohol can slow down the functioning of your dog’s liver and brain, and the smaller the dog, the greater the effect. Symptoms to look out for are vomiting, diarrhea, depression, coma, difficulty in breathing and even death.
A common ingredient in many Halloween candies, these nuts can cause locomotive difficulties, weakness, tremors, panting and swollen limbs.
Grapes and Raisins
Cookies, mini cakes or chocolates can contain grapes and raisins, which may lead to kidney failure in dogs.
Milk could be dangerous for dogs, as some dogs may not be able to reliably produce a special lactose splitting enzyme known as lactase. The absence of this enzyme could cause bloating, diarrhea and gas.
Candy and Chewing Gum
Sugar could be unhealthy for dogs. In addition to sugar, candies could contain Xylitol, can lead to excessive insulin release. This may cause kidney failure or even worse conditions.
How do I Make Sure My Dog Stays Healthy During Halloween?
Check out the following tips to keep your dog safe during Halloween:
- Advise your guests and their kids not to offer candy to your dog – Also keep the floor clean of candy wrappers. Sometimes it takes just a small amount to do big damage.
- Keep the candy out of your dog’s reach – It’s safer to keep your candy in a cabinet or a high shelf. If the dog is around, be vigilant.
- Stock up on Freshpet recipes or treats – Dogs don’t need human treats. Period. They would be happier and healthier if you gave them foods made just for them. This is why before Halloween, stocking up on Freshpet recipes is a great idea. Consider getting your dog:
- Freshpet Select Fresh From the Kitchen Home Cooked Chicken Recipe
- Freshpet Select Tender Chicken with Vegetables & Brown Rice Dog Food Recipe
- Or Dog Joy Turkey Bacon.
There are plenty of Freshpet recipe choices, and they are all nutritious and tasty.
There is a treat for every kind of dog at Freshpet. Make their Halloween less scary and give them food and treats of their own to enjoy.