Secaucus, N.J., Mar. 1, 2010
– Freshpet, the company that changed the way people feed their pets, has introduced Vital – a range of meat-based and grain-free recipes inspired by ancestral dog diets. Designed to replicate carnivorous diets with the benefits of leading edge nutrition, these new recipes are rich in protein, easily digestible, and can serve as a safe and convenient alternative to raw feeding and home cooking regimens for dogs.Each Vital recipe is:
- Meat Based – All Vital recipes consist of 80 percent or more fresh poultry, meat or fish, and include novel proteins, such as salmon and bison, for dogs with protein sensitivities.
- Grain-Free – This is especially beneficial to dogs with sensitivities to grains.
- Pasteurized – The low-heat cooking process preserves the essential proteins and amino acids. All products are refrigerated to maintain freshness.
According to Scott Morris, co-founder and Vice President of Marketing for Freshpet, the company created Vital for consumers who are interested in feeding their dogs a protein- dense diet that is safe for both pets and their handlers.
“Although wild dogs have evolved into domestic pets, their nutritional needs have remained the same,” said Morris. “We are happy to provide Vital to individuals who are in search of a fresh, protein-dense diet. All Freshpet foods are pasteurized, ensuring there are no harmful pathogens, making Vital a safe and convenient alternative to raw feeding regimens.”
Vital foods are meat-based with added pomegranate, dark berries and leafy greens for antioxidant support. Additionally, a meat-only recipe is available to offer a wide spectrum of amino acids.
- Bison & Beef Recipe, containing 85 percent bison, beef and beef liver and 10 percent fruits and vegetables
- Turkey Recipe, containing 85 percent turkey and turkey liver and 10 percent fruits and vegetables
- Salmon & Ocean Whitefish Recipe, containing 80 percent salmon and ocean whitefish and 10 percent fruits and vegetables
- Chicken, Beef, Salmon & Egg Recipe, containing 90 percent chicken, beef, chicken liver, salmon and egg
Unlike traditional dog food, Vital can only be found in custom Freshpet refrigerators at pet specialty stores and is available in a slice and serve roll format in two- and five- pound sizes. Vital recipes use locally sourced ingredients and are gently cooked in Freshpet’s Quakertown, Pa. facility.
The new Freshpet® Vital line is sold exclusively at pet specialty locations throughout the country, including PetSmart and Petco.
Download: 02.24.2010 - Leader in Fresh, Refrigerated Pet Food Introduces Meat-Based Recipes Inspired by Ancestral Diets