Just like us, our furry friends are one-of-a-kind. Some just want to laze around all day getting belly rubs, while others get their kicks from a fierce game of fetch. And their individual preferences don't stop there. While some are content having the same meal every day (heck, I'd choose to eat fajitas for breakfast, lunch and dinner if I could), many dogs want, and sometimes demand, variety in their treats.
A great way to accommodate pups with discerning tastes is to switch it up. Some rotate treats depending on the day of the week, and some use different treats to reward different behaviors (doing their business outside gets them a little sausage, but a day without chewing on your heels gets them a long-lasting bone). There are thousands of treats to choose from, but it's hard to find ones that are as healthy for your dog as their food. These easy guidelines can help you make smart picks:
- Look for all natural, simple ingredients with names you recognize and can pronounce.
- Don't over treat! Make sure you stay within your dog's recommended daily calorie intake. If you're not sure what that is, ask your veterinarian.
- Avoid treats containing sugar, salt, and artificial preservatives.
- Don't forget your veggies! Colorful fruits and vegetables are naturally rich in vitamins and minerals.
- Be sure to provide plenty of fresh water.
- Look for added benefits such as high-fiber treats that help maintain digestive health and hard chews that assist in cleaning teeth.
- Supervise your dog to be sure they are safe.
- Read the feeding directions carefully to make sure the treat is size-appropriate for your dog.
Freshpet offers fresh, refrigerated treats for every snacking occasion. With Dog Joy
treats, we're sure you'll find a healthy option to satisfy your pup.